Table of Contents
How do we compare bathroom scales?
We have selected products from various price categories with other functions to make our valuable comparison for users with different demands. Bathroom scales are a practical helper for every household and integral to nutritionists’ surgeries, sports clubs and similar facilities.
Long gone are the days when the scale only measured your weight. Modern devices can do much more and become your significant helpers in a weight loss diet and healthy lifestyle. When choosing the products for our comparison, we considered a variety of parameters; please take a look at the most important ones in the bullet points below.
- Carrying capacity
- Measurement accuracy
- Measurement options
How to choose a bathroom scale?
How to choose a bathroom scale in brief
- Find out why you should invest in a quality bathroom scale – High measurement accuracy, display of health parameters, or the possibility of connecting to a mobile application are the main reasons it is worth investing in a quality bathroom scale.
- Choose the correct type of scale: Depending on your preference, there are mechanical, digital and diagnostic scales to choose from. They differ in terms of their functions, measurement accuracy and purchase price.
- Focus on the essential parameters: Consider the scale’s capacity and how accurately it should measure your weight. Also, consider its dimensions, weight and design.
- Consider measurement options: Basic bathroom scales only measure body weight. More advanced ones will also measure your water, fat, bone mass or other body parameters.
- Check out the features and functions: Besides the digital display, you may find a detachable display, built-in alarm clock or internal memory for multiple users.
- Get inspired and bet on popular brands of bathroom scales: Popular brands in this segment include Salter, Soehnle, Etekcity, and Omron
- Set a financial budget: Prices for bathroom scales start at around £12 but can climb to over £100. It mainly depends on the functional equipment and measurement accuracy.
Why should you consider to buy a bathroom scale?
- Accurate body weight measurement: Although cheap mechanical scales have a favourable price, they cannot be said to have high measurement accuracy. More advanced bathroom scales weigh with a precision of 100 grams, and professional scales have up to 100% accuracy.
- Display of health parameters: If you invest in a more advanced diagnostic scale, you will get an overview of several health parameters that will help you live a healthier life or more easily achieve your goals in terms of figures.
- Greater user comfort: Advanced smart digital scales are characterised by their connectivity and the possibility of linking to a mobile application. In it, you can track your measurement results over time or share them with your friends.
- Attractive design: You can make regular weighing more pleasant by purchasing a scale with a beautiful design that matches the rest of the accessories in the interior.
Types of bathroom scales
- Analog bathroom scale: Low purchase price, basic measuring mechanism with accuracy to the kg, higher durability and easy operation. But it has no special functions.
- Digital bathroom scale: Offers more accurate measurement results, a digital display, a more attractive design, and often automatic measurement when stepping. However, there is still a limited range of features. There are also baby scales, which are now primarily digital.
- Smart digital scale (diagnostic): Offers special functions assessing life vitality, often possibly tracking measured values over time, the most accurate measurement results: higher price, more demanding control.
Analog bathroom scale
Digital bathroom scale
Smart bathroom scale
Material and design
- Plastic bathroom scales: These are cheaper models that are less durable.
- Glass bathroom scales: Higher durability, easy maintenance, elegant design, suitable for all interiors.
What can you measure?
Functions and features
- Control: Most bathroom scales are controlled by pressing the appropriate button or automatically evaluating everything when stepping on the surface. Some more expensive models that allow voice control or control via an application are no exception.
- LCD: is the domain of digital bathroom scales; you will not find it on mechanical scales. More advanced displays show information about weight and many others, such as overload indicators, the need to replace batteries, etc.
- Connectivity: As mentioned in one of the previous chapters, bathroom scales can also be connected to other devices, for example, via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi technology. iOS and Android operating systems are supported for mobile phones.
- Built-in alarm clock: With an adjustable alarm, you will remember to weigh yourself regularly at the same hour.
- Detachable display: More modern bathroom scales allow you to separate the magnetic display from the main body, which you place at eye level so you don’t have to lean forward when weighing. An alternative can also be a scale with a frame on which the display is attached.
- Different modes: On some scales, you can set other characteristics of your body. For example, you put yourself in athlete or child mode. The scale will consider this helpful when measuring BMI or similar functions. You can switch other scales to kitchen scale mode and use them when weighing food. The minimum weighted value is then around 100 g.
- Indicators: When weighing, you will be alerted to various situations and measured values using coloured indicators.
- Internal memory: More expensive scales have their memory for multiple weighing persons. You save your physical parameters, weight and other data under your profile. You only select your profile when considering, and the measured data will be kept directly. Some scales even recognise the user themselves. Memory for 3 to 10 members is usually available.
- Anti-slip feet: They serve mainly for safe standing on the surface but often also help to measure more precisely in the case of small irregularities.